I’m quite sure the world is waiting with baited breath to hear what I have to say about this year’s Oscars and who I think should win. So as is traditional, here are my hopes vs. what will probably happen. Continue reading
The Sunshine Blogger Award
I’ve been nominated for a blogger award! It’s always nice to receive one of these as it really spreads the love and makes everyone involved feel good. Plus, it’s just lovely to be appreciated every once in a while, innit?
My boo, Tatty very sweetly tagged me so thank you for thinking of me, darling! I will do my best to honour the Award rules, as below:
1. Thank the person who nominated you – Above! ❤
2. Answer the questions from your nominators.
3. Nominate eleven other bloggers and give them eleven questions.
Tatty’s questions for me:
1. Why did you start blogging?
My friend Paul started a blog about 15 years ago when we worked together and suggested I do the same. For a little while I only blogged to amuse him, and talked about celebrity stuff and things we were both into (boys and Wonder Woman). I didn’t have a real voice in the early days but my blog got me through a lot of bad times (specifically a horrible relationship).
I can still access my first blog and reading it makes me sad because I sound so cheerful. I wasn’t being true to myself back then at all. I’m much more honest here and am upbeat because I’m genuinely happy, rather than wearing a positive persona.
I also fell in love with writing which is why I love to blog now. Plus, I love film and books, so the three go well together.
2. Who is your biggest supporter/fan?
Tatty is one of my biggest supporters without doubt. I feel as though we bolster each other, especially during stressful periods when we really need it. She might not know this but having her as such a close friend makes me feel more youthful and cooler; and like I can be true to the things I really enjoy, like talking about the Kardashians, fashion and make-up, films we both love and deeper things like our relationships/the future.
My Mum has read my blog from the start and often mentions posts I’ve written when we see each other. She’s also been known to share them with her friends and then tell me their thoughts. Which is wonderful.
Otherwise, I have a lovely support network within the blogging community, including of course, Jill and Hayley Margaret.
I’ve not mentioned the bulk of my friends because I would say they aren’t generally “Sit down and read blogs” types. I’m sure they’re not avoiding reading my thoughts, it’s just not their thing. Which is fine.
My darling husband too is spectacularly supportive about everything I do but doesn’t often ‘read me’, purely because he thinks of my blog as a personal diary and doesn’t want to intrude.
3. What does a day in your life look like?
This is such a hard question to answer! It looks very low key to be honest. I go to work, I come home. In between this I see friends, go to the gym and watch as many films as I possible can.
A typical day is:
Get up, put on face
Go to work
Go to the gym/meet a friend
Go home, have dinner with G
Weekends are for family and being incredibly lazy. That might seem boring but I love my life.
4. What would you not be able to live without?
I would not be able to live without:
The women in my life,
5. What makes you happy?
The above list makes me happy. See also:
Idris Elba’s face,
Peter Serafinowicz‘ voice,
Having a new tattoo,
New lounge wear.
6. Do you believe it fate? If not, what do you believe in?
To a certain extend I do believe some things are meant to be but I don’t believe the whole of our lives are predestined. I think a lot of it is down to good luck and the right timing. My relationship is a testament to that!
I also believe is karma which I can’t back up in any way. Maybe it’s my Mother’s hippy influence but I live by the philosophy of giving positive out to get it back. Not that I do things just to reap the rewards, of course not – but in general I feel better about being positive and open than I do being bitchy and closed off to all the good things in the world.
7. If you could live in any country, where would it be?
If I hadn’t met my husband I would still be happily living in Vancouver, Canada. No question. It’s a great country.
8. What’s your favourite clothes brand?
If I were rich I’d dress in only Vivienne Westwood and McQueen because I love fashion as art.
9. What’s your favourite book?
So hard to choose just one so have 5:
Most recently I loved You.
Read them all and then tell me what you think.
10. What’s your biggest achievement to date?
Contrived as this may sound, my biggest achievement is getting out of an abusive relationship (which made me want to die) and living on my own in a strange city. I’m also proud of the way I’ve turned around some personal debt I ran up as an (almost) direct consequence of the same shitty relationship.
11. Lastly, how are you today?
I’m good thanks! Was stressed this morning and ready to give up. But my lovely colleague made me feel better, and now I’m great.
And any one else who’d like to partake! (Sorry, I’m bad at nominating people).
UPDATE: My Lightle answered these questions here. I only failed to nominate her for an award because I couldn’t remember where she blogged. So consider yourself nommed now, ML. Nommed here and winner of Best Leading Actress in life.
- Who would play you in the made-for-tv movie of your life, and why?
- If you had to be stuck in a lift with one person for 12 hours who would it be (it can be anybody, alive or dead)?
- If you could only have one album on your MP3 player for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- How do you deal with stress? (Asking for a friend)
- If you were releasing your own signature scent, what 3 ingredients would you insist on including?
- You find £50 on the street, no wallet, no witnesses – what do you do?
- What’s your greatest quality?
- And your worst? (In your eyes)
- Name 3 things you bloody love about your physical appearance – GO!
- If you had to sleep with one of the main characters in The Big Bang Theory, who would you pick? (Leonard, Sheldon, Raj or Howard/Penny, Amy or Bernadette? The little Comic Book Guy?)
- Are you a Belieber? (Discuss)
Thanks again, Tatty, this was fun! Now I’m looking forward to some answers to my questions. GO GIRLS ❤
My absolute babe of a friend, Tatty has recently started blogging (about time) and has very sweetly nominated me for The Leibster Award. I’m no stranger to this award (and similar) having been nominated a few times (get me and my huge head!), you can see my last award posts here and here.
These are the official Leibster Award rules
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Tell us 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions from your nomination
- Nominate 11 new blogs, that have under 200 followers
- Write 11 questions for them to answer
- Let the bloggers know they have been nominated
I am going to modify this a little bit and just do the top three points, even though the thought of finding 11 new facts about myself that I haven’t used before makes my head spin. We’ll see how that goes.
I’m also not going to nominate anybody this time. This is not because I haven’t found any great blogs lately, it’s just most of the bloggers I regularly interact with have been nominated before, by me. (If I regularly interact with you and you’re thinking, oh right what am I then, chopped sodding liver? and would like to receive a Leibster Award, please don’t be shy. I’m sure you’d be on my list if I were doing nominations).
But to the award! Firstly, a big shout out to Tatty, my nominator. Not only am I lucky enough to call this girl my good friend, I also get to sit beside her five days a week at work. I’m the Marketing Assistant in our department and work closely with Tatty every day. We have some big lols, we have some stressy days but basically, I couldn’t do that shit without her. She is brilliant.
So, Tatty, thanks for thinking of me. I am so proud of your blog and so happy that you are passionate about it. You’re going to go so far, in every aspect of your life, and I just feel very fortunate to know you.
I thought I’d be time savvy and combine the two, so I hope that my nominators are cool with this. I’m being purely sensible as I haven’t had much time to sit down and write the things I want to this week due to a jam-packed schedule. I didn’t want to go too long without responding though.
The awards are One Lovely Blog Award and The Liebster Award and they both have their own rules. Since I’m combining the two, my rules are a bit of a mish mash:
- Post the award(s) on your blog
- Thank the blogger(s) who presented this award and link back to their blog
- Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers
- Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions (the last one is via The Liebster)
First up, thank you to both Hayley Margaret of A Stitch to Scratch and Jillian of The Pink Panther Snipes Again. Both of these great blogs have come to me via the Blogging 101’s Class of September ’14 and I’m really happy about it.
Hayley is a crafty little sew-er with a healthy respect for Taylor Swift (me too) and a talent for just about anything creative it seems, while Jillian has a snarky tongue that I very much appreciate, that and her ongoing relationship with Netflix and film reviewing (read this, it’s so far up my street, you don’t even know). Check out both blogs ‘cos they’re ace.
Blogging 101 has been great for getting communication flowing between new bloggers and I love it for that. But on to the rest of this post!
I nominate the following blogs for my hybrid award, The Lovely Leibster Award:
- Not Simply Red
- Fannie Frankfurter
- What If I Fall?
- The Bohemian Within
- Shrewd Health
- Almost Erica
- Movin’ it with Michelle
- Random Daydreaming
My answers to 11 Questions from My Nominator:
- What was the last thing you borrowed from a library (or from a friend)?
My husband recently railroaded me into reading a sci-fi novel he loves, called Altered Carbon. I’ve not really into reading Sci-fi/Fantasy but this is really good. A kind of futuristic, steam-punky detective novel.
- Which ‘80s pop culture icon are you? Or, if you aren’t as addicted to online quizzes as I am, which ‘80s pop culture icon would you invite to a party?
I bloody love a Buzz Feed quiz and I’m Madonna, baby!
- Favorite book? Or, if too difficult, favorite book you’ve read recently?
I am obsessed with the Millenium Trilogy but I think my favourite book (today) is A Confederacy of Dunces. I just really love Ignatius J. Reilly.
- Cake or pie (and why)?
Cake, all day every day. Because it’s cake, why else?
- Favorite post you’ve written or are at least somewhat proud of?
I was very proud of the one I wrote about my brother.
- A Youtube video that always makes you laugh?
Well, this is my happy place. But I love this video. And this one. And this one. And… must. stop.
- One thing you love? Food
- One thing you hate? Negativity
- The best thing on TV (or Netflix, Hulu, etc.) right now is American Horror Story Freakshow.
If you don’t watch TV, favorite movie?
I love TV obvs, but my favourite film is True Romance.
If you don’t watch any of the above (as if!), how do you unwind after a long day?
Wouldn’t you like to know?! (Sit on the sofa, drinking tea).
- A song you always pump up when it plays on the radio (or on shuffle).
King of Wishful Thinking by Go West (listening to it RIGHT NOW). Also see: Under Pressure.
- This is really for my own purposes: any bad (or good) movie recommendations?
Martyrs, Prisoners, Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, Enemy,The Vengeance Trilogy… I could go on and on and on.
My 11 Questions for my 11 Nominees:
- Why do you think Britney sings Scream & Shout in a British accent?
- Do you prefer Serious Nicholas Cage or Action Hero Nicholas Cage?
- Which Tom Hanks would you be most likely to sleep with? (This question came up in the pub last night, mine is older Hanks or You Got Mail Hanks)
- What’s your favourite conspiracy theory?
- Which of your blog posts has been your favourite, yet not very well received by your ‘public’?
- Do you care about followers and likes and reblogs, etc? If no, why not? If yes, why?
- Which three websites are your most visited on an average day?
- If you could start your own business, what would it be?
- Who’s your favourite Batman?
- Text, Facebook messenger, Whats App, snail mail, old school face-to-face; which is your favourite way to stay in touch with loved ones, and why?
- What’s the meaning of life?
Have fun anyone who chooses to do this! If you’re on my list it means I’m into you and your blog… thanks for brightening my days ❤
NB: The original rules for both of these awards says you have to share facts about yourself. I know it’s lame but I skipped this bit and removed it from the list. It’s because I’ve done it here and I couldn’t think of 11 brand new ones… If you want to give me 11 of your own, please do. I love facts.
I never win anything. I’m not the least bit competitive in life and sometimes I wish I was a bit more ‘out there’ when it comes to showing off my skills and being rewarded. I’ve always figured that being good at stuff means you will just naturally be recognised.
Ha, tell that to my current boss.
Anyway, on Friday I learnt that I had been nominated for a very grand award indeed, a Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Cool, huh?
My lovely nominator is Hannah of Hannah Reads Stuff, a girl after my own heart. Not exclusively but mostly when it comes to books and literature.
I have been following Hannah since before her book blog but it is here that we have become friends. Not only have I been inspired to pick up a large portion of the titles she has reviewed, we also share a passion for collecting Lego mini figures (Hannah helped me with suggestions on how to display them). In short, she’s bloody brilliant and I’m glad I found her. Thank you love for this nomination!
Here are the rules of the award:
- Thank and link to the person who nominated you
- List the rules and display the award
- Share seven facts about yourself
- Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated
- Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you
Seven things about me
- Up until about six months ago I thought the first lines of lyric in The Cure’s Just Like Heaven were: “Show me how you do that trick, the one that makes me scream seasick” – which makes more sense to me, so I’m sticking to it
- My favourite literary character is Lisbeth Salander
- I hate tomatoes and get lectured on this fact almost daily – get over it world
- Until I got a job in Starbucks in Penticton, B.C a good few years ago, I though lattes were made with ‘Expresso’. After my first day of training I came home all excited, my Uncle said; “Did you learn that it’s actually called ‘Espresso’?” and I pretended I didn’t know what he was talking about
- I don’t want children, yet I have a name picked out for the daughter I will never have. It’s Dorothy Pearl
- I love the artist Ray Caesar and if I could I would buy all his paintings
- I love B-Movies and really shit horror (and good films) but sometimes a gal just needs Troll Hunter, you know?
So, that’s me!
But now to my own nominations. I don’t even know if I will be able to make the 15 blog quota but let’s see.
In no particular, I nominate:
- Cloud in a Teacup ~ Man, this girl can take a mean photograph! Shivani makes me want to trail around after her all the time, visiting all the places she does because she makes them seem so cool. Plus, she is cool so win-win!
- It’s a Marathon AND a Sprint ~ Colby, for being lovely and also supportive about my running (or rather lack thereof)
- Belle of the Bluegrass ~ my lovely friend Lydia who shares my love of beards and sparkle is honest and funny so go visit her sometime
- Almost Erica ~ my darling Erica who has been away from Blogging for a while has recently returned and I am most excited about it. One of my favourite people on this planet, she’s my friend from back home, the Canada edition
- The Lightle Side of Life ~ my boo Meghan is both clever and a wonderful writer. And definitely in my Top 15 of best people ever (actually, Top 5)
- Umbrella Weather ~ Emma is another person I feel blessed to have become friends with through our blogs. I think our relationship has been going for the best part of a decade and that is massive
- The Lucky Apple ~ funny and insightful, go read my friend Daisy!
- Random Daydreaming ~ I really enjoy this blog and have been an anonymous reader for a good year or two. Rebecca is into all sorts of cool things and have been very wise when it comes to my running worries (as above I think a lot about running but haven’t done much yet). Also two gerbils called Ser Jorah and Tyrion…
- Odd Socks & Pretty Frocks ~ another case of me secretly creeping for a long time, Alex’s blog is fab, a good mix of book loving and fashion and I adore it
- I Wish I Could Wink ~ Faye is adorable, lovely and has a great fashion blog. Also, we share a big love of nails and nail art
- Adventures of a Love Bird ~ a relatively new blog to me but full of more gorgeous photography it would seem silly not to include Amy. Makes me wish I was far more talented with a camera
- Lip Smackin’ Treats ~ as if I would forget to mention my friend Becky who is a shit hot baker. Visit her blog for some mouthwatering recipes and never look back! Mmmmmmm
- Read & Survive ~ another new blog but a great one, Anastasia is a big book lover and that is fine with me, always happy to be inspired to read new things
That’s it. I made 13 out of 15, which only serves to remind me that I need to spend more time out there with new blogs. There are plenty of amazing blogs I read that I haven’t nominated because they’re already so popular.
This has been really fun though and it is always really nice to be recognised for my writing, even if it is a little goofy at times. So thanks again Hannah. If you hadn’t nominated me, you totes would have been in my list.
Happy nomming peeps!